Health & Wellness Resources
Welcome to the High Plains Library District
Health & Wellness subject guide!
Take a look around at the wide range of health information available through the library and on the Internet.
If you believe you may have a serious health condition,
please seek the advice of a health care professional.
If you are experiencing a health emergency, please call 9-1-1.
Health & Wellness Databases at Your Library
Local Health Events
9Health Fair is Colorado's largest volunteer-driven, non-profit health fair program that serves 100,000 people at 170 statewide 9Health Fair locations each year.
- Reach to Recovery--Call ACS Call Center 1-866-500-3272 to schedule a visit
- Road to Recovery--Call ACS Call Center 1-866-500-3272 to schedule transportation
- Look Good...Feel Better--North Colorado Medical Center in Greeley, 2nd Monday, every other month, 10am til noon. Call Marjorie at 970-350-6163 to register
- Look Good...Feel Better--American Cancer Society office in Greeley, 2nd Monday, every other month, 5.30 until 7.30pm. Call ACS Office, 970-356-9727, option 3 to register.
- Man to Man Prostate Cancer Support Group--North Colorado Medical Center in Greeley, 3rd Thursday, monthly from 5.30 until 7pm. Call Marjorie at 970-350-6163 to register.
North Colorado Medical Center offers a variety of classes and health events. Wellness Services offers low-cost blood screenings open to community members; some immunizations are also available upon request and availability. Open labs are held on the second and fourth Wednesdays of every month from 7:00am to 8:45 a.m. To schedule an appointment, call (970) 350-6633 at least 24-hours in advance.
The Weld County Department of Public Health and Environment offers a variety of educational classes, screening and intervention programs.
The Area Agency on Aging offers multiple workshops for older adults and family caregivers. For general information or to register, call (970) 346-6950. The classes include:
- A Matter of Balance: Fall Prevention
- Chronic Disease Self-Management: Tools to Manage Chronic Conditions
- Strong People:Strength Training
- Powerful Tools for Caregivers:For family caregivers, learn to reduce stress, anger and guilt
Tobacco Free Weld is putting together Tobacco Cessation Classes. For more information call 970-304-6470 ext 2386.
Free resources are also available through the Colorado Quitline. The Colorado QuitLine is a FREE online service available to Colorado residents 15 years of age and over. When you become a member, you get special tools, a support team of coaches, research-based information, and a community of others trying to become tobacco free. Their expert coaches can talk to you about overcoming common barriers, such as dealing with stress, fighting cravings, coping with irritability, and controlling weight gain.
We also offer a free telephone service, so you can speak to a coach in person, if you would prefer. Through the telephone program you can receive a supply of patches too. Call the QuitLine at 1-800-QUIT-NOW or 1-800-784-8669.
The Women's Wellness Connection program offers free mammograms and pap tests to qualifying women with limited income or limited insurance 40 to 64 years of age, with emphasis on women age 50 to 64. The goal of the program, and its staff, is to reduce breast and cervical cancer mortality through the promotion of compliance with routine screening guidelines, and timely, diagnostic evaluation.
Health Mobile Health Unit June 2013 Schedule
Consumer Health Complete
Are you looking for reliable health information? Take a look in Consumer Health Complete, a powerful database of articles, fact sheets, and media from a wide range of reputable health publications. Consumer Health Complete is easy to use, and free to all High Plains Library District resident cardholders.
Teen Health & Wellness
Teen Health & Wellness: Real Life, Real Answers, provides students with comprehensive curricular support and self-help tools on topics including diseases, drugs, alcohol, nutrition, fitness, mental health, diversity, family life, and more.